Local: Thu
Sydney: Thu
Select Destination
Location Time Temp
Sydney Thu17°
Melbourne Thu13°
Brisbane Thu20°
Perth Thu21°
Adelaide Thu
Hobart Thu15°
Canberra Thu16°
Darwin Thu29°


Get our help FREE advice or find service providers with our bookJobs Now

New Australian Student Visa

05 July 2016 by News Desk

The new Australian Student Visa is part of the Government’s Simplified Student Visa Framework launched this month.

Australian Student VisaUnder the new Australian Student Visa (SSVF) process all international students will apply for the same student visa (subclass 500) regardless of their program of study and will be required to apply for their student visa online.

The student’s chosen education provider and their country of citizenship will help determine how much evidence of English language and financial capacity they will need to provide with their student visa application.

SSVF replaces the previous eight student visa subclasses, the Assessment Level (AL) framework, and Streamlined Visa Processing (SVP) arrangements.

From 1 July 2016 all international student visas, regardless of their program of study, will be covered by SSVF. That is, all international students will apply for the same student visa (subclass 500).

Does SSVF affect existing Australian student visa holders? The SSVF applies only to student visa applications submitted from 1 July 2016 and will not affect the visas of existing student visa holders.

Australian Student Visa (subclass 500)

If you intend to study in Australia, you will need to apply for the Student visa (subclass 500).

You can apply for the following types of study on this visa:

  • English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)
  • school – primary or secondary
  • secondary school exchange program
  • vocational Education and Training (VET) courses –a registered VET course or a registered course for the award of an advanced diploma
  • higher education courses –a bachelor or associate degree, a graduate certificate or graduate diploma, a masters degree by coursework or a higher education diploma or advanced diploma
  • postgraduate Research degrees –a masters degree by research or a doctoral degree
  • non-award courses – non-award foundation studies courses or components of a course that do not lead to an award
  • students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Trade or the Department of Defence.

You may be able to package your courses if you would like to study more than one course. This is known as course packaging.

Are you seeking an Australian Student Visa?

Click here for expert help with Study Visas: Study Visas down under

Click here for expert help with travel visas: Travel visas to Australia

Click here for tourist information about Australia: Visit Australia

We use cookies on Thinking Australia

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Please confirm permission to use cookies.
Cookie Policy Privacy policy