Facts and Figures
With an area of almost 7.7 million km2, Australia is the sixth largest country in the world. Thanks to its red-hot centre, around 85% of Australians live within 50km of the beach.
quick facts about australia
- Population: 24 million
- Area: 7,692,024 km2
- Government Capital: Canberra (Australian Capital Territory)
- Administrative Divisions: 6 states and 2 territories
- Currency: Australian dollar (AUD)
- Financial Year: 1 July – 30 June
australian time zones
australian western standard time (awst)
- State(s) Included: Western Australia
- Hours Relating to GMT: 8 hours ahead
australian central standard time (acst)
- State(s) Included: South Australia, Northern Territory
- Hours Relating to GMT: 9.5 hours ahead
australian eastern standard time (aest)
- State(s) Included: New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, Tasmania, Australian Capital Territory
- Hours Ahead of GMT: 10 hours ahead
daylight savings time (dst)
Daylight Savings Time (DST) runs from 2:00am on the first Sunday in October (local time), when clocks are set forward by an hour, until 3:00am on the first Sunday in April, where clocks are set back an hour.
Designed to make the most of the summer months, it affects New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory.
During this time the following time zones apply:
- New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania: 11 hours ahead of GMT
- South Australia: 10.5 hours ahead of GMT
telephone area codes
- Australian Country Code: 61
- Outgoing Access Code (for making overseas calls within Australia): 0011
- States and Territories:
- New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory: 02
- Victoria, Tasmania: 03
- Mobile telephones (Australia-wide): 04
- Queensland: 07
- Western Australia, South Australia, Northern Territory: 08
If you’re calling from outside Australia, leave out the ‘0’ from before the state or territory area code.
For example, if you want to call a Western Australian landline you’d dial +61 8 [their local eight digit number]. If you’re calling their mobile you’d dial +61 4 [their eight digit mobile number].
- Area: 7.692 million km²
- Capital City: Canberra
- Largest City: Sydney
- Highest Point: Mt. Kosciusko 7,310 ft (2.23 km)
- Lowest Point: Lake Eyre -39 ft. (-12 m.)
- Longest River: Murray River (2,520 km)
climate and lifestyle
Australia has a warm, sunny climate, which means outdoor dining and a variety of sports are part of the Australian way of life.
To learn more about each state’s unique climate click here.
national holidays 2016
- New Year’s Day: 1 January
- Australia Day: 26 January
- Good Friday: 25 March
- Easter Monday: 17 April
- Anzac Day: 28 March
- Queen’s Birthday: 13 June (ACT, NT, SA, VIC, NSW, TAS), 3 October (QLD), 26 September (WA)
- Christmas: 25–26 December