Local: Tue
Sydney: Tue
Select Destination
Location Time Temp
Sydney Tue22°
Melbourne Tue16°
Brisbane Tue23°
Perth Tue18°
Adelaide Tue
Hobart Tue13°
Canberra Tue13°
Darwin Tue25°


Get our help FREE advice or find service providers with our bookJobs Now

Emigrate to Australia: Changes to drone laws

16 October 2016 by News Desk

Emigrate to Australia and fly a remotely piloted aircraft without the previously mandatory training.

Emigrate to AustraliaEmigrate to Australia where the new rules covering the use of drones aims to keep pace with the rapid increase in the innovative technology and uses of small RPAS for commercial purposes.

of 29 September 2016, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority put into the force a deregulation that will allow more people to operate sub-2kg remotely piloted aircraft systems (RPAS or drones) without the previously mandatory training.

However, industry professionals have voiced concerns that accidents could result from the deregulation.

As part of the new changes, people and organisations wanting to fly commercial drones with a maximum take-off weight of less than two kilograms no longer need to apply for a certificate and licence from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

This means very small commercial drone operators can avoid the requirement to pay about $1400 in regulatory fees, as well as the need to develop manuals and other documentation.

Emigrate to Australia: Changes to drone laws

To ensure at least some safety, there is also a requirement to complete an online notification process so CASA has the details of all under two kilogram commercial drone operators.

In addition, penalties of up to $9,000 can be issued by CASA for breaches of the regulations.

The new regulations state that anyone who wants to operate an under two kilogram commercial drone outside the standard operating conditions must apply to CASA for a remotely piloted aircraft operator’s certificate and a remote pilot licence.

The new rules also introduce a category for landholders which means drones up 25 kilograms can be operated without the need for CASA approvals.

Want to live and work Down Under? Click here for expert help: Skilled Migration to Australia

Want to get a job Down Under? Click here for expert help: How to Get a Job in Australia

Click here for expert help with travel visas: Travel Visas to Australia

Click here for tourist information about Australia: Visit Australia

We use cookies on Thinking Australia

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Please confirm permission to use cookies.
Cookie Policy Privacy policy