Local: Mon
Sydney: Mon
Select Destination
Location Time Temp
Sydney Mon15°
Melbourne Mon
Brisbane Mon18°
Perth Mon13°
Adelaide Mon
Hobart Mon13°
Canberra Mon
Darwin Mon26°


Get our help FREE advice or find service providers with our bookJobs Now

Australia Study Visas

23 February 2016 by News Desk

Australia offers a wide range of high quality education facilities for international students with courses designed to suit all study requirements


Australia is one of the worlds’ top study destinations for overseas students seeking quality higher education.  To study down under you will need a visa.

Australia offers a range of visas that you can apply for, each of which depends on the type of study you choose to undertake.

Higher education – to study at university or tertiary level you may be eligible for the Higher Education Sector Visa (subclass 573) or Postgraduate Research Sector Visa (subclass 574).

If your intention is to study a non-award foundation studies course or components of a course (other than English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students) that does not lead to an award then the Non Award Sector visa (subclass 575) may suit your needs.

For those who intend to study English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) the Independent ELICOS Sector visa (subclass 570) provides this option.

In some cases it is possible to package your studies on the one visa subclass.

Eligible student visa applicants from participating education providers may also be able to apply for Streamlined student visa processing.

If you have finished your studies and wish to stay and work in Australia temporarily you will need a Post-study Working visa.

Primary and secondary school – For visas that allow students to enrol in primary or secondary school, or for participation in school exchange programmes the School Sector visa (subclass 571) may be suitable. Guardians of an international student younger than 18 years of age can apply for the Student Guardian Visa (subclass 580) in order to stay with the student in the country.

Education, training and sponsorship for study – International students that are interested in vocational education and training courses can apply for the Vocational Education and Training Sector visa (subclass 572).

For training and research opportunities which allow you to take part in structured workplace-based training, you may be eligible for the Training and Research visa (subclass 402).

In some cases the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the Department of Defence will sponsor students to study in the country. Students participating in this arrangement may be eligible for the Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector visa (subclass 576).

Visiting and studying – If you wish to come for a visit and short-term study, you may be eligible for a visitor visa.

Assessment levels – Assessment levels are essential in understanding the student visa process. They can change according to the country of your passport and to the education sector of your main course of study.

Important Note: All info is correct at time of publication. But in mid-2016 the government will introduce changes to the Student Visa program with new rules aimed at reducing the number of visas and making the process simpler.

Please see our previous reportChanges to Student Visas

Click here for info on Study Visas: Study Down Under

Click here for info on travel visas: Travel Down Under

Click here for tourist info about Australia: Visit Down Under

We use cookies on Thinking Australia

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Please confirm permission to use cookies.
Cookie Policy Privacy policy